Wednesday 7 May 2014

Yo ho ho green Scourge

Mega Mike here, and I'm taking a break from UCM for a bit (I say that, but I'll probably still be playing them loads - they are just too fun to put down) to concentrate on Scourge.
A few of the Orbital Bombardment team will be high-tailing it to Croyden this Saturday for Heroes and Legends Dropzone Commander tournament. SkullSword will be testing out his Smurf Blue UCM and Edchopp with be bringing the pain with his red UCM. I want to see these to fight - Red vs Blue!! I will be taking my newly developed Scourge and guess what, they are green!  


That's my sweetcorn eating days over!

I have been playing Scourge for about a month now and they are a completely different animal to the UCM. It is an understatement to call them fast, but with it they are fragile, so so fragile. You know if you get hit something invariably dies. Staying out of sight is absolutely crucial to staying alive (ha, ha, ha, ha, staying alive, staying alive.....sorry couldn't resist)


I started with playing a 16 prowler rush list. It had a lot of aircraft and dropships to overwhelm the enemies AA. A lot of things get through, and while the enemy is occupied with killing what is in their faces, literally, they miss my warriors and destroyers doing their thang.
The one problem with it is focal point missions. There is very little ground vehicle units that can hold them. Obviously the Desolater is a must, but with lots of Reavers, Intruders, Marauders and Harbingers it just wasn't viable. I wanted to try a double Annihilator list (and I still do) but funds and lack of stock in my FLGS stopped that. I guess I could proxy them, but I prefer not to.

What I have settled on is this:

Clash: 1496/1500 points
Standard Army
Mega Mike (Standard Roster) [1496/1500 pts]
Oppressors [257 pts]
Desolator: Desolator(Master) 
Minder Swarm: 4x Minder 
Vanguard [256 pts]
Hunter MGT Squadron: 3x Hunter 
Stalker Pack: 3x Stalker, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster) 
Warrior Cabal [202 pts]
Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors, Intruder Alpha [
Reaver Heavy Gunships: 2x Reaver 
Warrior Cabal [94 pts]
Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors, Intruder Alpha 
Occupation Patrol [380 pts]
Prowler Pack: 8x Prowler, 2x Intruder Beta 
Destroyer Pack: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha 
Destroyer Pack: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha 
Invasion Host [307 pts]
Tormentor HGT Squadron: 2x Tormentor, Marauder 
Reaper AAGT Squadron: 3x Reaper, Marauder 

My thinking behind it is all about securing objectives/gathering intel. I have 2 units of Warriors and 2 units of Destroyers, hopefully this means I win the troops vs troops match, and just in case I don't there is a squad of Tormentors in there to, um, torment.
Hunters and Stalkers together is a nasty battle-group, even though the Hunters are driving on, they will still be able to shoot a centre building on turn 2. Stalkers are very effective at taking out high armoured enemy - PHR beware! also the Harbinger is my light dropship hunter. 
I am probably a little light on AA, but the Harbinger, Reapers and late game the Minders should cope. I wish I had a spare 20pts as I would then have an Intruder for the Minders, I could drop down to a cheaper commander, but CV4 is almost essential as a minimum with Scourge at clash level. 

What do you think? Any glaring holes in the list? Let me know in the comments






Some tips for using them, based on the couple of practice games I've had. 

Massive tip number 1 - After you have dispatched Rapiers (or any tank) with Prowlers, do not, I repeat DO NOT bunch up in front of 2 Longbows

Tip number 2 - Don't put all your eggs in one basket. 
I had 2 units of Warriors and 2 units of Destroyers in my backfield building. Ok I found the objective with the Destroyers, they handed off to the Warriors to extract, then the building collapses on 2 squads of warriors and half my searchers are gone!

If anyone is interested in going to the tournament, here's a link to Heroes and Legends Facebook event - it has all the details and rules pack, and it's only £6 for the day.

I'll be back on Monday to let you know how I got on.......wish me some jellyfish luck














2 comments:

  1. Good luck! Aren't you a little short on heavier dropships? I'm thinking marauders. In my experience one for the infantry could be good (and should suit your list). I know you prefer the small dropships but I have always felt they were much to sensitive to be the only ones. As they can't handle any reaction fire. But the Tormentors could do rather well. No worm on one of them? It is usually nice to drop a worm in a building you will be late coming into as they can make sure you stay the occupier for a while. But I absolutely think your plan makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Egge, I have 3 medium drop-ships at the moment with Harbinger and 2 Marauders they make really good backfield harassers.
      The problem for me with warriors in a Marauder is two-fold, firstly they would need to be in the same battle-group, which means only having 5 battle-groups (bid no no with Scourge) and secondly I simply don't have the points. The cost difference is huge as you need to have 3 bases of Warriors in the Invader rather than 2.
      Same reason why I have no Razorworms - if I had some spare points, they would go on an Intuder for the Minders, if I had some more then I'd go for a base or Worms for exactly the reason you said.

      Delete