Thursday 15 May 2014

To Prowl Or Not To Prowl?

We're coming for your women and pancakes!
So far my journey in the Dropzone universe has been limited to the Shaltari. Since we first started playing as a club, the rainbow hedgehogs have been my army of choice, due to a mixture of limited finance, love of the models and the stubbornness to want to master them. I now stand on the edge of change though, and although I love my Shaltari I am thoroughly looking forward to it!

The Scourge present a whole new style for me play with; I play my Shaltari mostly on the counter, coiled like a Cobra ready to strike at the first weakness. Scourge however are the polar opposite, and play like a cheese-grater to the face (this metaphor may not be as poetic as the first, but I'm sure you'll agree it fits).

You may remember a while back I made a similar post to this, but I have experienced the Scourge on a closer level since then (Mega Mike may have intruded me with his once or twice) and my opinions have altered slightly, as have my plans for an army. I am currently faced with two different lists, so let's go through them and I will explain my choices!

Let's start with my favourite, the fun list:

Prowlegeddon

Oppressors
Desolator, Overlord (CV5) = 260
Fresh of the assembly line
Reaver = 54

Vanguard
Hunter squad x 6 = 210

Warriors
Warrior horde x 2, Intruder = 94
Reaper squad x 3, Marauder = 158

Warriors
Warrior horde x 2, Intruder = 94

Occupation Patrol
Prowlers x 8, IntruderB = 120
Destroyers x 2, Intruder = 130
Destroyers x 2, Intruder = 130

Occupation Patrol
Prowlers x 8, IntruderB = 120
Prowlers x 8, IntruderB = 120

Total = 1490

You may have noticed that there are a few Prowlers in this list – 24 to be exact. I love the Prowler; its big head, its little legs, its unbelievably cute penchant for melting flesh and metal into one giant beige blob - they're just awesome. As such, one of the first things I knew when I started to collect Scourge was that my army was going to have at least 12 Prowlers. Is 24 too many? In a word, yes. But I think I can make it work against most armies. It does after all have all the aspects I would need to win. The Hunters will be 23” onto the board come turn 3, and my Reapers hunting down ships on turn 2. I have all the troops I need to claim objectives, and while all this is happening my adversary will have to deal with two dozen evil metal jellycrabs in their deployment zone (as well as an additional 6 E9 shots from Intruders). On top of this my boss is CV5, so I will have the initiative most turns (which is excellent when you have 20 models in one battlegroup...). Oh yes, and having a good SOI will never, ever, ever be an issue. One thing Scourge do tend to fall short on are focal point missions, due to the lack of ground units in an army. This army may even be able to buck this trend!

Time to go Hunting
So, drawbacks? Range for a start, and manoeuvrability for another. Not only this, but if the Prowlies don't kill what they hug they are incredibly vulnerable. These few points don't outweigh the fun factor for me though. I do love my Shaltari but they can be quite restrictive sometimes, even with their shenanigans. Every so often this drawback can lead to a formulaic play style which I am after breaking. If this list is something, it's not formulaic, it's bloody mad! I will also get to play 66% of my games standing on my enemies table edge, and you know what they say, the army of the enemy you stand too close to / rub up against is your friend! Or something like that.

A possible change would be to swap the Reapers and Reaver for Ravagers and a Harbinger, to allow for more suppressing AA fire. If I find I keep losing too many Intruders to Ferrum's then this change may well be forced, but as I own Reapers and not Ravagers we will stick as is for now. The list should perform well against PHR and UCM (depending on the amount of Ferrums of course), and probably Shaltari (due to the walkers being slower or the same MV value of a Prowler). Ironically it will probs be pants against other Scourge though, due to the lack of AA.

List 2 is more sensible (zZzz...), the balanced list:

SnozZzge

Oppressors
Reave me baby!
Desolator, Master (CV4) = 225
Reavers x4 = 216
Prowlers x 4, IntruderB = 60

Vanguard
Hunter squad x 3 = 105
Reaper squad x 3, Marauder = 158

Vanguard
Stalkers x 3, Harbinger with Mini Arc Caster = 151

Warriors
Warrior horde x 2, Intruder = 94

Warriors
Warrior horde x 2, Intruder = 94

Occupation Patrol
Prowlers x 8, IntruderB = 120
Destroyers x 2, Intruder = 130
Destroyers x 2, Intruder = 130

Total = 1483

I'm know this list isn't nearly as boring as I am trying to make out, after all, it does have 4 Reavers! As a whole though it is a little more well rounded. It has 12 Prowlers which is a good amount as both a distraction, and an SOI extender. The firepower is a little more varied, with Stalkers to bring down any tank and the Hunters to, well, hunt... The AA is also better through the addition of the excellent Harbinger. This tough mother brings a single E7 shot which is excellent for hunting light dropships. It can also use it's poo bomb (just look at the tube on the back) to deliver an E11 shot to any nearby tanks or buildings. There is more room for change in this list too. Tormentors would fit in nicely, possibly with a couple of Razorworms.

I know where my heart lies though, and that is with more prowling crustaceans. It just sounds more fun.

For those of you who frequent our marvellous blog, you will probably remember my articles on the over use of one unit... Yes, I guess this is a little hypocritical after trying to make that point, but I will say this - the articles were aimed at competitive play, so I guess the question is:


Do I think this list is competitive? Noooo I don't. Would I take it to a tournament? You bet your sweet arse I would!

Interesting fact: I currently own no Prowlers. This makes me sad.To be remedied soon!

3 comments:

  1. Looking really good. Great blending and shading. The detail work really pops out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to see a kindred spirit. :)

    I too love the face my opponents make, when dozens of tiny crab monsters scuttle towards his deployment zone (arachnophobia inbound) + when he counts the number of his shots and the number of targets that rush him.

    And all these tiny legs (I think more than 80 in my army) dangling from their dropships is a pretty sight too.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I am not the only nut who wants more Prowlers than is probably sane in my army, they are just so adorable, how could I not want to have hundreds of them just sitting around?

    ReplyDelete