Wednesday 12 March 2014

How much is too much?

Does this man have too many guns, or just enough?
As anyone who has played this game will know, Dropzone Commander is a game of balance. Unlike other wargames there are certain parameters within your army that must be filled; anti-tank, anti-air and enough infantry to win you the game. This particular balance is part of what draws most of the gamers in, as it forces people to field a very even spread of units. The question I pose is: is it possible to 'spam' units and remain competitive, and if so, should it be?


Don't get me wrong, I don't want to break the game. Far from it! I want to show that an army can't be spammed with 'the best' units, or at the very least that it doesn't work quite as well as a balanced list. Part of this comes from the fact I have been a long term 40k player and the way the game has gone has more or less made me stop playing. A wargame should be about balance and tactics and not about having one squad with an overflowing beard, or 2 models in an army that stomp on dreams and happiness, causing mothers to cover their children’s eyes and the men to start shouting "I can't take any more, please stop!" through tears and sobs. This happening in any game is complete balls. Swollen, hairy, smelly balls.


Does this woman have too many cats, or just...
No, no it's too many. Poor example, my bad.
The Shaltari army I currently use is very balanced and has severed me very well so far. I have 4 Tarantulas
for AT, 3 Kukri's for AA and 2 Jaguars for a bit of both (as well as other units, gates and such) and I have no complaints with it. The unit which has been performing consistently well for me has been the Tarantulas. These beautiful little bullies are always earning their points back and deal with the armour issue Shaltari have been suffering with since day one. So, I have written this little piece of tactical literature to try.

Shaltari 1500 point list

Command
Coyote (Warchief CV4) = 205

Armour
Tarantula x 4 = 220
Kukri x 3 = 135

Armour
Tarantula x 4 = 220
Kukri x 3 = 135

Infantry
Braves = 64
Braves = 64

Infantry
Braves = 64
Braves = 64

Special
Yari with Light Ion Cannon x 3 = 81

Gates
Eden = 45
Eden = 45
Spirit = 40
Spirit = 40
Spirit = 40
Haven = 15
Haven = 15

This list ticks all the typical boxes, it gives me:
  • 6 battlegroups
  • 4 squads of infantry
  • Enough gates to efficiently deploy my army


I'm pretty sure this list can work well against all the races, and especially against PHR and UCM. I have AA, I have infantry, and I have a lot of anti-tank. What have I lost? A solid fire base in the form of some Jag's and a template weapon from my Firedrake. I don't expect this list to do spectacularly well, and to be honest part of me hopes it doesn't work at all. It doesn't feel like it is written in the spirit of the game and the way Hawk intended.

Ultimately this exercise may prove nothing, but it has to be worth an experiment!


Toodles!

2 comments:

  1. This kind of prove why I like DZC. Spamming in DZC is having 2 battlegroups that are the same. Not three or five. Two.

    And I don't really consider that spamming. I have calculated some on the Tarantula. Is it really that good? Of course I'm playing scourge and 4 Tarantulas will only kill one Hunter (if I have understood it correctly). Assuming best of worlds.

    Or is it because they are very good against massive DP units?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gone for 8 Tarantulas as I don't feel 4-6 Jaguar's would really be that over powered, as they lack the AT to really prove a threat. Also gate mechanics would be a nightmare! The Tarantula's are great, they are a unit that you need to look past the maths with. They always retain a threat to more or less every unit, which creates a psychological benefit to you. People will avoid them, or focus on them leaving the rest of your army to whiz about how you like.

      They are defo best against multiple DP units or anything armour 10 (4+ damage instead of 5+ from Gaus). Truth be told I haven't played against any light tanks or skimmers so it will be interesting to see how it works out. You shouldn't need 4 to kill a Hunter, 4+ to hit and 4+ to kill. You also get a 4+ / 6+ chance with the micro laser.

      Delete